Sunday, May 22, 2011

Final test prior to Bergen - Voss

At 07.30 I left home to meet up with Beathe and Terje at Takvam. We had planed to start at 08:00 but as Terje had gathered three other friends as well we waited for them to arrive so the 6 of us did not start until 08:30.

From Takvam we took the old road to Trengereid and then continue up Gullbotn, by many considered to be the hardest climb on the Bergen - Voss route because it is quite steep (Except from Skjervet towards the end of the race of coarse).

Going up Gullbotn was indeed tough but with a steady pace I made it in a decent time. After Gullbotn there is a long steep decent and then some easy terrain until we get to Tysse. In this part I took the opportunity to fill up with water and some energy gel to prepare for the climb up to Kvamskogen. From Tysse there is a 10km continues climb to the top of Kvamskogen at 40.5k and 464m above sea level. Again I ignored the fact that the others started the climb at a quicker pace then myself and instead concentrated at getting into a steady pace that I felt I could keep over time, since this climb is, at least for me, very long I felt it was important to not start to hard.

Half way up to Kvamskogen three of the others stopped and decided they had enough and turned around to start the decent back down to Tysse and towards the cars. I think Terje also wanted to turn but my determination to "go all the way" made him change his mind. So Terje, Beathe and myself continued. After almost reaching Eikedalen, about 2km from the top, Terje had enough and he also turned and started the decent down. Again, Beathe and myself continued and climbed all the way to the top of Kvamskogen :).

If anyone had told me at Christmas time when this whole thing started, that I would go on a ride with 6 others from Takvam to Kvamskogen AND back again, I would not believe them. When I was one of only two who actually made it to the top of Kvamskogen this felt like quite an achievement for me.

After a 5 -10 minutes break because nature was calling and to refill with water we started on the descent down to Tysse. When we reached Tysse I made sure to fill up with energy gel, this time containing extra caffeine to recharge the batteries for the climb back up to Gullbotn again.

As the elevation map below shows, climbing up to Gullbotn in this direction contains two steep climbs with a short plateau in between where one can get at least a little "rest". During the first climb I ran out of water (which is not good I can tell you) and after a short while I got cramps in my left thigh. In the second climb I think the left thigh told the right one to start protesting as well. So these climbs went VERY slowly on my behalf. Beathe was a trooper and waited for me at the top of each of the climbs, thanks :)

Now finally at the top of Gullbotn the second time I was relieved that we only had a steep decent and then 7 easy kilometers back to where we park at Takvam. After stretching soar limbs we got into the cars and drove home.

Arriving at home Janicke was finishing dinner that was ready for me after long warm shower. Thanks, and also thank for letting me go out early and spend the day on the bike, I know you got back home late after partying with your friends and would have preferred to sleep longer this morning. 

Below is an elevation map of today's ride, and luckily during the Bergen - Voss race we do not have to climb Gullbotn twice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment